JOEL FREELAND ACADEMY
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT COOKIES
WHAT IS A COOKIE?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The utility of the cookie is that the website is able to remember your visit when you return to browse that page. Although many people do not know it, cookies have been used for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
WHAT IS NOT A COOKIE?
It is not a virus, nor a Trojan horse, nor a worm, nor spam, nor spyware, nor does it open pop-up windows.
WHAT INFORMATION DOES A COOKIE STORE?
Cookies do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. The data they store is of a technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of content, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person but rather your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse with Internet Explorer and try browsing the same website with Firefox or Chrome, you will see that the website does not realize that you are the same person because it is actually associating the browser, not the person.
WHAT KIND OF COOKIES ARE THERE?
- Technical cookies: These are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is browsing, when an anonymous user and a registered user are browsing, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic website.
- Analysis cookies: They collect information about the type of browsing you are doing, the sections you use the most, products consulted, time slot of use, language, etc.
- Advertising cookies: They show advertising based on your browsing, your country of origin, language, etc.
WHAT ARE OWN COOKIES AND THIRD PARTY COOKIES?
Own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and third-party cookies are those generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I DISABLE COOKIES?
In order for you to understand the scope that deactivating cookies can have, we show you some examples:
CAN COOKIES BE REMOVED?
Yes. Not only delete, but also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To delete cookies from a website, you must go to your browser settings and there you can search for those associated with the domain in question and proceed to delete them.
CONFIGURATION OF COOKIES FOR THE MOST POPULAR BROWSERS
Here's how to access a particular Chrome browser cookie. Note: These steps may vary depending on your browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking on the personalization icon that appears on the top right.
- You will see different sections, click the option Show advanced options.
- Go to Privacy, Content Settings.
- Select All cookies and site data.
- A list will appear with all the cookies sorted by domain. To make it easier for you to find cookies from a certain domain, enter the address in part or in full in the Search Cookies field.
- After performing this filter, one or more lines will appear on the screen with the cookies of the requested website. Now you just have to select it and press the X to proceed with its elimination.
To access the cookie settings of the Internet Explorer browser, follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to set the level of privacy you want.
To access the cookie settings of the Firefox browser, follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Options or Preferences depending on your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- Under History choose Use custom settings for history.
- Now you will see the option Accept cookies, you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the cookie settings of the Safari browser for OSX, follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Preferences, then Privacy.
- In this place you will see the option Block cookies so that you can adjust the type of blocking you want to perform.
To access the cookie settings of the Safari browser for iOS, follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Settings, then Safari.
- Go to Privacy and Security, you will see the option Block cookies so that you can adjust the type of blocking you want to perform.
To access the browser cookie settings for Android devices, follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Launch the browser and press the Menu key, then Settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the option Accept cookies so that you activate or deactivate the box.
To access the browser cookie settings for Windows Phone devices, follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Open Internet Explorer, then More, then Settings
- You can now check or uncheck the Allow cookies box.